Winter is here! Grab a blanket, cosy-up on the couch with a bowl of warming soup, a good movie or podcast and of course, a glass of delicious wine.
While some wines are made to be enjoyed on their own, most are destined to be sipped alongside good food and great company – so it’s always nice to see if a winery creates a range that’s specifically crafted with food in mind.
Saving Grace is a new range of elegant wines from North Canterbury which includes New Zealand’ top varietals to ensure there’s a perfect match for any dish on the menu.
Riesling is an incredible versatile varietal when it comes to food pairings, especially drier styles. From spicy curries to simple fish dishes, dry Rieslings are particularly food friendly.
We’ve given the new Saving Grace range a test drive for you and particularly enjoyed their Dry Riesling alongside a beautifully fragrant pumpkin soup.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it try it yourself:
Winter Warming Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 cups of pumpkin
- 1 leek
- 1 cup kumara
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Prepare the pumpkin, kumara, carrots and leek (peel, wash, cut into pieces)
- In a big pot, sauté the leek, garlic and ginger in oil until soft
- Add the pumpkin, kumara and carrots for 2 minutes while stirring
- Add the vegetable stock and bay leaves
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes
- Add the spices and remove the bay leaves
- Puree the soup with a hand or stand-up blender
- Stir in the cream and butter, season to taste
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil
The new food friendly Saving Grace range also includes a Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Noble Riesling, Grüner Veltliner and Sauvignon Blanc.
Backed by one of the leading wine companies you should be able to easily spot them on menus around the country but you can also find out more about the Saving Grace range on their website here. Make sure you also follow them on Instagram and Facebook.